Disclaimer: Thank you Direct Energy for sponsoring this post.
I’m not sure what the weather is like where you live, but here in Chicago, it’s a not-so-lovely 40 degrees today. I literally stepped outside this morning and could see my breath. Since winter is approaching way too fast, I figured I would share some tips with you on how you reduce your energy bill this winter.
I could tell you things like: buy Energy Star Appliances, a Smart TV, etc. but those things cost a lot of money. These tips are fairly inexpensive ways you can make little changes around your home or with the use of things you might already have at home.
10 Tips to Help You Reduce
Your Energy Bill
- Install a smart thermostat, such as the Nest Learning Thermostat. Smart thermostats offer you climate control, the convenience of programming away from home, and more.
- Lay down rugs (and pads) on wood or tile flooring. This will help warm up and soften the hard surfaces by adding extra insulation to the floor.
- Keep extra blankets around the house, so when you feel cold, you can cover up with a blanket rather than turning up the thermostat.
- Make sure your lighting is energy-efficient by switching traditional bulbs to CFLs or LEDs. CFLs use 75 percent less energy than standard incandescent bulbs and last 10 times longer.
- Even when your appliances are turned off, they are still using electricity. Use smart power strips or unplug anything that does not need to be plugged in at all times such as toasters, coffee pots, lamps, etc.
- Replace your old blinds and curtains with energy-efficient ones. Consider cellular blinds and curtains with an insulating liner.
- Assess your furniture placement. Is your furniture blocking heat registers and air return ducts? If so, move your furniture to allow ample room of air flow.
- Replace the shower-head in your bathroom(s) with low flow shower-heads. These shower-heads regulate the flow of water, assuring you a more efficient shower.
- Take a shower instead of a bath. You will use less water.
- When cooking, thaw foods and cut into smaller pieces. They will take less time to cook.
To enter the sweepstakes, visit the campaign landing page and simply fill out the entry form. How easy is that?
The giveaway will take place from Wednesday, October 1st to Wednesday, October 22nd. Winners will be selected in Mid-November.