This recipe is a simple white cake with strawberry jello and real strawberries added to it. This is not my recipe, however, these cupcakes are too phenomenal not to share.
1. You can make your own white cake mix by following this white cake recipe or use a box mix. If you use the box, do NOT follow the directions on the box. Follow the directions for this recipe.
2. Add strawberry gelatin. Don’t make the jello, just pour the mix straight from the package.
3. Add your milk and your batter will start to turn a pretty pink.
4. Add your oil.
5. Add your eggs.
6. Mix these ingredients together until just blended then add your strawberries.
- 1 Package (18¼ oz.) Cake Mix, Plain White or Yellow
- 1 Package (3 oz.) Strawberry Gelatin
- 1 Cup (Finely Chopped Fresh) Strawberries, with Juice
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¾ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Combine the cake mix, gelatin, milk, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the strawberries and juice. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down sides again if needed. Spoon about ⅓ cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it ¾ full. (You will get between 24 and 30 cupcakes; remove empty liners, if any.) Place pans side by side in the oven.
- Bake until cupcakes are lightly golden and spring back when pressed gently with a finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, place pans on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to wire racks to cool for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on low speed until combined, 30 seconds. Stop mixer and add 3 cups confectioners’ sugar and the mashed strawberries. Mix on low speed until incorporated, 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and blend until frosting is fluffy, 30 to 45 seconds longer, adding up to ½ cup more sugar if needed to get a spreadable consistency.
- Frosting each cupcake. Refrigerate, uncovered, until frosting sets, 20 minutes. Decorate with sprinkles and strawberry slices, if desired.